UTI treatment in york
Urinary tract infection or UTI is extremely common and extremely uncomfortable. Many women do not know that today’s most effective UTI treatment is readily available with a board-certified gynecologist in York PA at Apple Hill Gynecology. A urinary tract infection can occur anywhere in your urinary tract, from your kidneys, ureter and bladder to your urethra. However, most infections occur in the lower urinary tract — bladder and urethra.
Women have a greater risk of developing a UTI than men. Even an infection limited to your bladder can be painful. However, if a urinary tract infection spreads to your kidneys, there can be serious consequences. Doctors typically treat urinary tract infections with antibiotics. Antibiotics usually are the first line UTI treatment. Depending on your health condition and the type of bacteria found in your urine, we prescribe appropriate drugs and a time period for UTI treatment.
While some UTIs don’t cause symptoms, many do. Symptoms may include:
- Strong, persistent urge to urinate
- Burning sensation when urinating
- Passing frequent, small amounts of urine
- Cloudy urine
- Red, pink or cola-colored urine — a sign of blood in urine
- Strong-smelling urine
- Pelvic pain in the center of the pelvis and around the pubic bone
Please note that UTIs can be overlooked or even mistaken for other health conditions among older adults. You can also take steps to ease your discomfort by:
- Drinking plenty of water to dilute your urine and flush out bacteria
- Avoiding drinks that irritate the bladder (coffee, alcohol, and soft drinks containing citrus juices or caffeine) until your infection clears
- Using a warm heating pad on your abdomen to minimize bladder discomfort
We will try to schedule you the same day you contact us because we know how uncomfortable you are.
Discover comprehensive “gyn near me” at Apple Hill Gynecology.
Call (717) 741-0857 or use our Request an Appointment form.
We welcome patients from Hanover, Lancaster, Harrisburg, Red Lion, York and close-by areas.